Tutorials

Warm Daytime Smokey Eye Tutorial: Jaclyn Hill Favorites Palette

January 31, 2015

Hi Everyone!

I have been obsessing over really warm eye looks lately and I thought I would show you one I’ve been wearing a lot lately. I swear I love this look so much because I just need warmth in my life somewhere (Canadian winters suck). This look is really easy and can be worn with any lip colour or dressed up or down for a variety of occasions.

I already applied by base (foundation, concealer, brows), so we’re going to start from there.

Withbase

Foundation- Make Up For Ever HD Foundation

Concealer: LA Girl Pro Conceal, MAC Pro Longwear, Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer

Brows- Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade

Step One

First start by priming your eyes. You can use whatever method works best for you, but I used MAC’s Paint Pot in Soft Ochre as well as Lorac’s Behind the Scenes Eye Primer.

Once you’ve done that it’s time to start with shadows. In case you missed the title, we’re going to be using the Jaclyn Hill Favorites Palette today to achieve this look, but you could definitely use similar shadows from different palettes and get a similar look.

step1shadow.jpg

Taking a warm light brown on a fluffy brush, we’re going to lay down the transition shade. This is going to help everything look nice and gradual. You can build this shade up to your desired intensity, buffing back and forth through and above the entire crease. I didn’t concentrate this in a particular area, but just evenly throughout.

Step1 step1 closed

Excuse my eyelashes, I got some paint pot on them and didn’t notice.

Step Two

step2shadow.jpg

Now we’re going to start to build up the warmth. For this step it’s important to use a softer, less dense blending brush to get this to look right, I used a Sigma E25 Brush for this step. With the tiniest amount of this burnt orange shade on my brush, I lightly ran this through the lower crease. If you have darker skin than me, you can for sure build up the intensity of this shade. but this is how I like to wear it.

Step 2 step 2 closed

Step Three

Step3shadow.jpg

Using the same brush from the previous step, pick up this warm camel shade and buff that into the crease as well. After you have that laid down, take a fluffy blending brush and go over the whole crease area to meld everything together.

step 3 open Step 3

Step Four

step4shadow.jpg

Now we’re going to add some dimension. To do this, I didn’t want to go for black and ruin the pretty warmth, so dipped into a maroon shade. This compliments the warm browns well and adds dimension. I took a much smaller crease brush and ran this through the lower crease, focusing on the outer 3rd and outer corner. I then blended to bring it all together.

step 4 openstep 4 closed

At this point, you can touch up the orange or the camel brown as they can fade from all the blending.

Step Five

step5shade.jpg

Now we’re going to focus on the lid. Since this look is really about the crease, I kept the lid very muted with a peach champagne shade. Using a flat brush, I patted this on the blank space on the lid. Then blended over everything with a fluffy blending brush.

step 5 openstep 5

Step Six

Now time for liner. This is completely optional, but I love black winged liner, it really pulls the look together. This still looks good without liner if you want to pass.

step6

Step Seven

Lowerlashline.jpg

Moving on to the lower lashline, we’re going to basically mimic what we did in the crease. Starting with the camel brown, we’re going to press that into the lashline with a flat definer brush, from inner to outer corner. Then picking up a tiny bit of the orange on the same brush, we’re going to press that on the outer edge of the lashline. For depth, we’re going to add a little of the maroon to the outer edge as well. To deepen everything, I wanted a neutral deep brown. The palette doesn’t really ahve this type of shade, so I pressed Espresso from the Lorac Pro palette into the outer area of my lower lashline. I then buffed everything out with the brown we initially used as a transition shade in step one.

lowerlashline

Step Eight

Now time for mascara and lashes! You can skip the lashes, but I can’t help myself so I’m going to add a pair.

Step Nine

Now it’s time to finish off the face. I contoured, added blush and highlight. Lastly is lips. Any lip colour works with this look, but I opted for MAC’s Shanghai Spice, a really pretty warm peach.

Blush: Tarte Tartelette Amazonian Clay Blush- Celebrated

Highlight- MAC Mineralize Skinfinish- Perfect Topping

Contour- Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit- Fawn

IMG_5994

So there you have it! Leave me a comment down below with what look you’ve been loving lately!

Bye for now!

Chelsey

You Might Also Like

27 Comments

• Reply plus+beauty27 January 31, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Gorgeous makeup look! Such a great tutorial! πŸ™‚

• Reply Christina Braccia January 31, 2015 at 8:20 pm

This makeup looks great on your eyes! It makes them pop!! I love the Mac lipstick on you though! It’s my favorite part. Such a pretty color.

• Reply Chelsey January 31, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Thank you so much!

• Reply Miss Coco January 31, 2015 at 10:15 pm

The makeup looks lovely πŸ™‚ x

• Reply Dorkchops January 31, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Love the look, you look absolutely flawless! <3 I want your eyebrows hahaha. <3

• Reply Chelsey January 31, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Thank you! The dipbrow works wonders! haha

• Reply Dorkchops January 31, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Haha so I’ve heard! I need to get it, my eyebrows look so bad hahahaha! <3

• Reply Chelsey January 31, 2015 at 11:10 pm

No way! You have a great brow shape πŸ™‚

• Dorkchops January 31, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Haha I wish I did! I just get lazy with the whole grooming part of it, I’m scared I’ll overpluck them! I probably should just visit a professional or something. πŸ˜›

• Chelsey January 31, 2015 at 11:20 pm

No you really do! I recommend getting them professional shaped at least initially, so you know where to pluck or not (provided you pluck often). I shape them myself for the most part, but I do get them threaded occasionally to maintain the basic shape. If you pluck a hair you shouldn’t , it grows back and you can always fill that part in. When I was younger my mom waxed off the tail of my eyebrow and I was hysterical, so I feel you!

• Dorkchops January 31, 2015 at 11:29 pm

Yes, that’s a good idea! I’m just glad mine grew back from when I first plucked them myself about 6 years ago so I have my natural shape back! They were wayyy too thin then, the photos of me back then make me cringe LOL. Oh I often walk past a threading place, maybe I’ll give it a try! πŸ™‚ Hahaha oh no! I’m glad it grew back though! <3

• Chelsey January 31, 2015 at 11:37 pm

I used to have mine really thin as well and I cringe because thicker is so much more flattering and less harsh. Glad trends have changed and if they change again, too bad, I’m never going back!

• Dorkchops January 31, 2015 at 11:41 pm

I know right? Thicker is so much better! I just didn’t know what I was doing hahaha but I think everyone’s been through that stage! πŸ™‚ I’m glad too! <3 I really hope it doesn't because I'm definitely not going back either!

• Reply Bree February 1, 2015 at 12:27 am

Your eye makeup always comes out so perfect! Share your secrets πŸ™‚

• Reply Chelsey February 1, 2015 at 12:33 am

Haha thank you. I’m really picky so it’ll never be perfect to me lol. I really think its all in the blending and the brushes.

• Reply TheMakeupCase17 February 1, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Very pretty look!

• Reply dolledupbyj February 1, 2015 at 6:42 pm

This is so beautiful! It looks like you got your makeup professionally done πŸ™‚

xo J

• Reply Chelsey February 1, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Thank you, that’s so sweet!

• Reply Devon February 1, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Chelsey, love this look. I have a question for you a little off topic. Do you have any tips for working with shadows with a sparkle? I hate sparkles around my eyes where they aren’t welcome! I tend to use makeup remover then end up wiping off my concealer/foundation, it’s very annoying. I’d love to be able to avoid transferring shadow. Thanks!

• Reply Chelsey February 1, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Thank you! Well you could do it backwards and do your eye makeup first, then its way easier to just wipe it away and then do your face makeup. You also try a sticky base, like for example Too Faced makes a Glitter glue primer that you can put down first and then use the sparkle shadow, it’ll help it stick better. Or you can also buy these little sticker things called Shadow Shields that you stick down before you do your eye shadow and it will catch any fallout.

• Reply Chelsey February 1, 2015 at 7:51 pm

You could also wet your brush with a little water or MAC Fix+ and that should help as well.

• Reply thatsprettytrue February 6, 2015 at 1:08 pm