Product Reviews

Nars Sheer Glow Foundation: Splurge or Skip?

August 28, 2014
narssheerglow.jpg

Hey Everyone!

I have a new review for you today. If you saw my recent haul then you would have seen that I picked up the Nars Sheer Glow foundation when I went to the US. I’ve had some time to test it out and form my opinions on it, so I thought I’d share them today.

The Packaging

DSC_0001 4

I really enjoy the packaging of this foundation. It’s a square style glass bottle with a heavy bottom and a screw cap. The packaging is simple, but I enjoy the matte black cap and no-fuss design. For the price it should for sure come with a pump, which it doesn’t so that’s a negative for me. I think if you expect a consumer to pay $45+ for a foundation, a pump should be standard. Now I will say that this foundation is a medium consistency, so it’s not too bad without the pump. I still think it should come with one, but it’s not super runny or messy without one. I could buy a pump for this, but then that does add $11 to the price. I did purchase one for my Estee Lauder Doublewear, but it’s a thinner consistency so it needed it more than this foundation does.

The Product

Now onto the product itself. First I’m going to list the claims from Sephora’s website:

• A glowing satin finish foundation with sheer and buildable coverage
  • Enhances without masking your overall natural complexion
  • Hydrates the skin while complexion brightening properties improve skin brightness, radiance and texture leaving skin with a luminous, sensual glow
  • Suitable for normal, normal-to-dry, dry and very dry skin types

So the question is, does it stand up to it’s claims? The first claim is half true. I would definitely call it a satin finish, it’s not as dewy as I was expecting. I was thinking like L’Oreal True Match Lumi kind of dewy, but I actually love the finish. It has just enough glow to make your skin look healthy, but not so dewy that you look overly shiny. In terms of the coverage, I think sheer is a misnomer. This has amazing coverage, easily medium, but definitely not sheer. I love the way this looks on my skin. It looks really natural and fresh. That brings me to their next claim. I 100% agree with their second claim, this just enhances your natural skin with some radiance. It’s not remotely heavy or cakey looking. It didn’t settle unevenly anywhere on my face like some foundations do, just blended effortlessly into my natural skin. In terms of it’s skin care type claims, it didn’t make my skin dry or anything, but I can’t say it improved my natural skin. I don’t expect this from a foundation, so that doesn’t matter to me. Lastly, it claims to be suitable for the normal-very dry range. I’ll agree with this since I have normal-dry skin and it works wonderfully on me.

To really show what this foundation looks like, I took some photos in natural light, so you can see what it looks like.

sheerglowbeforeandafter.jpg

Before and after

You can see on the left that I have some redness to cover up and a couple of scars around my forehead. In the after, the redness is completely covered, but the little scars aren’t entirely. I don’t mind because I would rather just use a little green concealer where I need it than mask my entire face. Once all my makeup was done, this really wasn’t noticeable. You can see my freckles, which I’m completely fine with. I haven’t found a foundation yet that completely covers them, so it’s not out of the ordinary. I like some of them to show anyway, it makes everything look more natural.Β

Wear

This is another area where this foundation excels. I can put this foundation on and wear it for hours (10 hours+) with no primer and it looks exactly the same at the end of the night. And I mean exactly the same, not even a little fading. My blush doesn’t wear off with this and neither does my highlighter. In terms of helping my other face products stay put, this foundation is one of the best I’ve found. Now I haven’t tried this on anyone with oily skin, so I’m very curious how it would perform since it is geared to drier skin types.

I recently used this in a FOTD, so I’m going to include that so you can see what it looks like with a finished face. You can still see a slight blemish scar, but honestly that has a lot to do with where it is, not the foundation. If it wasn’t in the middle of my face (the best place to get a pimple of course), you wouldn’t notice it. And I’m extra picky, so there’s that too.

IMG_2279

Overall Thoughts

I love this foundation! I think it has just enough glow to be appropriate for all year around, as it just looks fresh. It feels light on my skin and looks light too. In general, this is on the more expensive side, but I haven’t found any drugstore foundations that match this finish. As well, it comes in 17 shades with multiple undertones (my shade is Mont Blanc), so it will match a variety of skin tones. Overall I’m really impressed and this was definitely worth the splurge. Honestly, I think I’m starting to like higher end foundations a bit too much…oh dear haha.

So there you have it! If there are any other foundations that I really should try, leave me a comment down below and let me know which one! Help me feed my addiction!

In case you haven’t entered yet, there is one more day left to enter myΒ giveaway, I will be drawing the winner on Saturday, so get your entries in!

Also, I’ve decided that I’m going to wait to do my favourites for a couple more weeks. I have so many new products that I haven’t given a fair shot yet due to makeup-less work days and being too sick to care. So my favourites will probably show up mid month for a change. Plus I’m getting right into fall makeup looks so I’m on the look out for good fall products!

Bye for now!

Chelsey

You Might Also Like

25 Comments

• Reply MaggieMay August 28, 2014 at 11:46 pm

What?!?! 11$ for a pump?!?! Okey, in Norway it would probably be more expensive, but still. I hate bottles that don’t have pumps. Usually means I waist product πŸ™

• Reply Chelsey August 28, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Ya! I even looked on eBay for cheaper options and I couldn’t find anything.

• Reply MaggieMay August 28, 2014 at 11:50 pm

That’s kind of blah! Why can’t things either come in a tube or bottle with a pump, end of discussion πŸ™‚

• Reply Chelsey August 28, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Exactly, that’s my thinking too.

• MaggieMay August 28, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Same with facial creams, I kind of hate putting my fingers in the jars and I always loose the spatulas.

• Chelsey August 28, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Since I now use mainly facial oils, I haven’t had that problem. They usually come with a pump or a dropper. Kind of necessary for a complete liquid. Ca

• Reply msbeautyguru August 28, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Looks gorgeous on you, I love this foundation so much <3 <3 The no pump thing sucks though.

• Reply Chelsey August 28, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Thank you! Its becoming a fast favourite for me. I wish I could find a cheap pump, but I haven’t found anything cheaper than MAC

• Reply msbeautyguru August 29, 2014 at 12:00 am

Yeah that’s the one I bought for it as well. I think it’s kind of lame they sell the Nars pump separately.

• Reply Chelsey August 29, 2014 at 12:01 am

Super annoying, it’s already $45 and $55 in Canada. That should include a pump. If some drugstore foundations can include it, for sure a high end can.

• Reply kimboxin August 29, 2014 at 12:23 am

What blush are you wearing? It’s gorgeous!

• Reply Chelsey August 29, 2014 at 1:07 am

Thank you! It is the Milani Baked Blush in Bella Rosa πŸ™‚

• Reply anamariebragg August 29, 2014 at 12:55 am

Wow! You look absolutely gorgeous! You skin looks flawless in the photo and your eye shadow really makes your eyes pop. GORG!!!

• Reply lesliecolemua August 29, 2014 at 1:09 am

Loved this post! Hadn’t tested it myself and I was worried that it would be TOO sheer. I don’t really see the point of getting super high end if I’m looking for light coverage. I don’t have a lot of discoloration so a loovve glowy medium coverage and I top it off with a bit of concealer. You didn’t find the Lumi to be too wet? I have normal-dry skin too. I’m definitely thinking this will be my next purchase.

• Reply Chelsey August 29, 2014 at 1:13 am

Thank you! The name is misleading to me, definitely not sheer. I personally don’t really care for the Lumi, just too shiny to be flattering. This isn’t like this, this looks much more natural and leaves your skin looking naturally healthy I think.

• Reply Zinita August 29, 2014 at 4:02 am

Great review! the foundation looks lovely on you! I love it too!!

• Reply milliemakeup August 30, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Good review, it looks really nice on you! I always thought it was gonna be light so avoided but may have to try now! x

• Reply Chelsey August 30, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Thank you! The name is pretty misleading, the coverage is great!

• Reply August 2014 Favourites | Makeup By Chelsey September 3, 2014 at 2:13 am

[…] This favourite should come as no surprise. I picked up this foundation on my trip after wanting it for so long. It did not disappoint obviously since this is a favourites post. I have not picked up another foundation since getting this. It just gives my skin it’s best look ever. It doesn’t look heavy or cakey, but just enhances my own skin and perfects it. It’s not overly dewy which I don’t really like, but just enough to look radiant. It applies beautifully with both a sponge and a brush and lasts all day. I do have a full review so if you’re interested, you can find it here! […]

• Reply megansbeautyblog October 23, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Do you think this would be ok for slightly oily skin with a few pimples. I usually use mineral foundation and am hesitant to buy a liquid but love the look of this one!

• Reply Chelsey October 23, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Ya I think so! I would set your face with powder to make sure everything stays put, but I wouldn’t say this foundation is ‘too dewy’ for oilier skin.